POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS (also known as Stein-Leventhal syndrome), is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, affecting approximately 1 in 15 women approximately 10% of all women
What are the Symptoms?
Many women with PCOS have no symptoms, however most will have
one or more of the following:
- Weight gain or obesity
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Excessive and/or abnormal hair growth on their body
- Irregular periods or absence of the period (amenorrhea)
- Acne and/or excessive facial hair
- Thinning of the hair on the head
- Enlarged ovaries with cysts
- Insulin resistance
Women with PCOS encounter:
- A 40% higher risk of diabetes by the age of 40 and an increase for gestational diabetes
- Increased cardiovascular risk; PCOS is a marker for heart disease
- Increased weight gain and difficulty losing weight
- Cystic ovaries, infertility and endometrial cancer
- Eating disorders
Insulin resistance causes insulin and glucose to build up in the bloodstream. High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens, causing symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods and weight gain.
Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones. Abdominal fat/Belly fat is considered the most dangerous kind of fat because it is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and other health conditions.
The goal in treating PCOS is to focus on nutrition/diet and weight loss. One of the goals is to balance out blood sugar so that there is a decrease in insulin resistance that will improve insulin sensitivity.
Functional/Chinese medicine treats the underlying causes and imbalances with PCOS to correct the problem at its root, allowing your body to self regulate and return to a normal menstrual cycle. At AHS we utilize time tested protocols which include Acupuncture, nutritional support, stress management and specific herbal medicines to assist you to return to a normal cycle, reduce weight, improve your skin and reduce excessive hair growth.