POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS (also known as Stein-Leventhal syndrome), is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, affecting approximately 1 in 15 women approximately 10% of all women
What are the Symptoms?
Many women with PCOS have no symptoms, however most will have
one or more of the following:
- Weight gain or obesity
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Excessive and/or abnormal hair growth on their body
- Irregular periods or absence of the period (amenorrhea)
- Acne and/or excessive facial hair
- Thinning of the hair on the head
- Enlarged ovaries with cysts
- Insulin resistance
Women with PCOS encounter:
- A 40% higher risk of diabetes by the age of 40 and an increase for gestational diabetes
- Increased cardiovascular risk; PCOS is a marker for heart disease
- Increased weight gain and difficulty losing weight
- Cystic ovaries, infertility and endometrial cancer
- Eating disorders
Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones. Abdominal fat/Belly fat is considered the most dangerous kind of fat because it is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and other health conditions.
Functional/Chinese medicine treats the underlying causes and imbalances with PCOS to correct the problem at its root, allowing your body to self regulate and return to a normal menstrual cycle. At AHS we utilize time tested protocols which include Acupuncture, nutritional support, stress management and specific herbal medicines to assist you to return to a normal cycle, reduce weight, improve your skin and reduce excessive hair growth.